May 23: Tours
The following tours are available to registered participants of the FEDTex Summit.
- You must indicate your participation in the respective tours on your registration in order to participate.
- Transportation is not provided, you must provide your own transportation to each tour.
- Parking for both tours and the social are in the same location. For parking information and passes, click here. Parking will cost $5.00. It is strongly recommended that you complete the parking pass prior to arrival to the parking lot.
All tour participants should arrive at:
North Carolina State University, Wilson College of Textiles
1020 Main Campus Drive
Raleigh, North Carolina 27606
- Two tour options will be provided, to participate in both tours, arrive at 2:15 pm.
- The first group of tours will start at 2:15 and run to 3:30.
- The second group of tours will start at 3:30 and end at 5:00.
- Tours will end at the Wilson College of Textiles Atrium, location for the Welcome Social that begins at 5:00 pm.
Tour 1: North Carolina State University, The Nonwovens Institute
The Nonwovens Institute (NWI) is the world’s first accredited academic program for the interdisciplinary study of engineered fabrics through an innovative partnership of industry, government, and academe. NWI engages experts from industry and higher education in building next-generation nonwoven applications while also providing training and guidance to the field’s future leaders. NWI plays a key role in the development and transformation of the latest innovations into marketable fiber-based systems through access to state-of-the-art pilot and testing facilities.
The tour is limited to the first 60 people who register (to ensure safety) and will focus on these facilities within NWI’s Labs: large- and small-scale units for Spunbond, Bonding (including hydroentanglement, thermal calendar, and through air), Meltblown, Carding (crosslapping, Needlepunch, and heated oven), Filament Spinning, Coating and Lamination, Filtration Testing, and Analytical.
Requirement: Closed toed shoes are required.
Tour 2: North Carolina State University, Wilson College of Textiles
Tour the North Carolina State University Wilson College of Textiles lab facilities, including the Weaving Lab, Knitting Lab, Short-Staple Spinning Lab, Physical Testing Lab, and Dyeing and Finishing Lab, which are managed by Zeis Textiles Extension for Economic Development. These fully functioning labs are used for both educational purposes and contracted projects with industry partners for product testing and production. In addition to the Zeis Textiles Extension, tour the Textile Protection and Comfort Center and ASSIST Center's labs for innovation and testing. These facilities are more closely related to heat and flame protection, chemical resistance, and comfort performance research, and wearable and implantable systems, respectively.
Requirement. Closed toed shoes are required.
Following the above tours, join FEDTEX participants at the Welcome Social hosted by Burlington at the North Carolina State University, Wilson College of Textiles, 1020 Main Campus Drive, Raleigh, NC 27606. For more information, visit: https://fedtex.ncmbc.us/welcome-social/